Amabile Newsletter - November 6th, 2019
Amabile will remain OPEN on Monday, November 11th for Veteran's Day. We will see you at your regular lesson time
BRAVO to our students who participated at the Halloween Recital on Saturday! Did you hear Ms. Carolyn's brass trio performing 'Baby Shark' & Star War theme songs for our students? It was a big HIT! :-)
Fun for the kids, and a night out for you! Go holiday shopping, on a date, or to a movie knowing your kids are having fun with us. Sign up today by contacting us at (415) 682-7738!
*At least one child in the family must attend Amabile. Children must be at least 4 years old. Sign-up will close on November 13th at 5 pm.
One of the ways that Amabile School of Music is able to grow is by enrolling great students just like you!
REFER YOUR FRIENDS BEFORE MARCH 31 AND YOU COULD WIN:
ANYONE can participate in our referral program! Refer a friend to Amabile and if they sign up, you will BOTH be entered in our next raffle on March 31st, 2020 so you and your friend can win great prizes such as gift cards, concert tickets, iPad, iWatch and more. We will also give you a 30-min FREE lesson just to say thanks!
Meet Teacher Vivien who plays two instruments!
Hello! My name is Vivien. I am a piano & oboe teacher at Amabile School of Music. I am from Toronto, Canada, and San Francisco is now my new home!
How old were you when you started piano and oboe lessons?
I started playing the piano at the age of three. Growing up, I was fortunate to have a piano teacher who was tough but also extremely caring to me. His high standards and superb musicality inspired me to work hard to achieve my dreams and goals in piano. I started playing a new instrument - the oboe When I was sixteen. I was listening to a lot of symphonic music during that time, and I found myself drawn to the tone of the oboe. To me, the oboe has a dark, exotic, yet pure and innocent quality. It can portrait the innocent white swan princess from Tchaikovsky’s ballet “Swan Lake”. It can also portrait the dark, seductive, Salome’s Dance from Richard Strauss’ opera “Dance of the Seven Veils”. Listening to the sound of the oboe often made me emotional, and I became very passionate about playing it. I am currently studying with Eugene Izotov, principal oboist of the San Francisco Symphony.
Can you tell us about your experience with music growing up?
Since I could remember, music has always been a part of me. When I was a kid, my parents would play classical music for me to fall asleep to every night. I have always found great comfort in music as if its an old friend who is always there for me.
Can you share with us what it is like to be both an oboeist and a pianist?
Being a pianist and oboist is really great. The piano has such an amazing repertoire, while oboe allows me to have the wonderful experience playing in the orchestra collaborating with other musicians. Besides, it always feels refreshing when I switch between instruments, I could never get tired while practicing both instruments.
What advice can you give to our students about practicing?
Here are two pieces of advice about practicing that I want to give all my students:
- Be consistent. Try to practice every day, even just for 10 minutes. Don’t skip several days without touching the instrument.
- Quality > quantity. When you practice, ask yourself, "what do I want to achieve today? Is there a new skill I want to adapt to this song? Are there any problems I want to fix?" Always practice with a specific goal in mind.
KEYBOARD GROUP CLASS
Little Mozart Keyboard Group Classes (for beginners from age 4 to 5)
Many of our current students started in our Little Mozart Group Keyboard Class! It is a course designed for beginner students between the age of 4 and 5 in a group setting where they learn about musical alphabets, rhythm, notes, black and white keys, posture and finger numbers. This class also incorporates singing, dancing, musical games, and mini-recitals! Students are given certificates and prizes at the completion of the 16-week course. Click here for the most updated trial class dates. Instructors: Dr. Ethan, Ms. Breanna & Ms. Christy.
SUN 11/10 from 11-11:30am
MON 11/11 from 3:00-3:30pm
TUE 11/12 from 5:30-6pm
WED 11/13 from 10:00-10:30am
SAT 11/16 from 3:30-4:00pm
SUN 11/17 from 1:30-2:00pm
TUE 11/19 from 3:30-4pm
WED 11/20 from 6-6:30pm
FRI 11/22 from 6-6:30pm
MON 11/25 from 10:00-10:30am
FRI 11/29 from 4:15-4:45pm
SUN 12/1 from 9:00-9:30am
MON 12/16 from 3:30-4pm
WED 2/5 from 4:45-5:15pm
MON 3/9 from 6-6:30pm
- First trial classes are complimentary.
- Prior reservation is required as space is limited. Contact us TODAY to reserve your spot! Please call us at (415) 682-7738 or to fill out a contact form to reserve your seat. No drop-ins.
- 2019 Winter Recital Sign-up will begin on 11/15. Talk to your teacher soon if you would like to participate as we only have limited 63 spots available and it's first come, first served.
- Please don't forget to get your pictures taken after you've passed a musical ladder test. We would love to showcase your achievements!
- Email our Front Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (415) 682-7738 for any questions or inquiries. If you need to request a new lesson time, please contact us for the most updated openings.
- To sign up for a Group Make-up Class, you can find our most updated class schedule here. To respect our dedicated teachers' time and effort in preparing each class, please notify us ASAP if you are unable to attend the class you signed up for.
- To discontinue lessons, please submit a Withdrawal Form to our Front Desk before the 15th of the month. We do not prorate last month's tuition.
- Lost & Found basket: Missing something? We have our lost and found basket located by the lobby. You may find something miraculously!
- Donations of gently used Sheet Music or Method Books: We are accepting gently used sheet music or method books for all levels and all instruments for our students. We greatly appreciate the generous donation.
SPREAD THE WORD
Show us your YELP review and receive $5 off your next lesson!
Does your child love to come to Amabile every week? What are your favorite things about being part of the community? We'd love to hear about it! Help spread the word about the benefits of music education and of course, our school and teachers, by sharing your POSITIVE experience online. You can find us on Yelp and Facebook. Thank you in advance for your support and for helping us spread the word!
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to learn more about Amabile teachers, students, and events!